Monday, May 26, 2008

Small Steps Toward Big Savings

What I did today to save money:
June 4
I drove to Big Lots for some of my cleaners and used the UPromise card at Kroger rather than going to Target, where the items I wanted are a lot more.


June 3
(Like I said ... small steps ...)
Today I planned my errands to minimize gas usage, which meant going to the Jiffy Lube (where I do NOT use the restroom) before going to get some ice at Burger King (where the restrooms are acceptable), and at 36 weeks pregnant, that is quite a feat!


June 2
Wesley and I made a boat out of "trash."

June 1
Patrick and I ate tomato sandwiches and then went to the movies for our date instead of paying for both. With the added cost of babysitting dinner and a movie nights are rather rare. Either is manageable.

May 30
Went home for lunch rather than eating out with the training group.

May 27
Frugal: Shopped for Wesley's clothes at a consignment shop ($37) and Goodwill ($9).
Not Frugal: Took the hybrid to a car wash for a wash and wax ($38). Seriously, though, it's almost 90 degrees outside. Patrick has more important things to do and my feet are swelling.
Frugal: Started an at-home hypbirth program for 1/4 the price of a doula.

May 26

Will investigate how much cash back we can receive with the various gas cards available.
(UPDATE:)
According to this web site we have one of the best deals, the Discover gas card. I prefer this to the BP card, even though it offers a 10% rebate for the first 60 days because I can get the 5% rebate (same as the BP rebate after the first 60 days) at any gas station. If you know of a better gas rebate deal, please comment and let me know!

May 24
Registered my Kroger grocery card at shortcuts.com. They will automatically deduct the coupons I select from the grocery bill when I present the card.

Registering my new Kroger card with uPromise.

Used NPR membership card to receive 1/2 off pizza at the Loop in Chapel Hill.

May 23
Used our over-ripe bananas to make banana bread (salvaging what would be a waste of $3.50).

Took banana bread to zoo for snacks (we use an annual pass that gets us in to the zoo, bought the pass at aRiverbanks Zoo, which has a cheaper annual cost than the NC Zoo.)

0 comments: