Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ten Years Ago

I met Patrick ten years ago. He was a senior studying physics and I was in graduate school.

I liked a lot of things about Patrick, I especially liked that he had a plan: "I want to travel and explore the world, not in the 5-star hotel way, rather in a way that gives back to the people of every place I go."

We shared a desire to enhance the world. The difference between us at the time, however, was that he had a plan. Like me, Patrick has a lot of interests and had a lot of paths he could have pursued.

"I just picked one," he said.

He made it sound so simple: Just pick a path and devote yourself to it.

He had picked the MD, MPH route with a desire to bring health to the greatest number of people that he could. Three to four months after we met he left on a journey that would take him to medical school in Israel.

What could have taken 4 years of education ended up taking 5 years because he took a year off in the middle for us to spend time together after our wedding. Then he returned to Israel and I visited/lived there when I could.

The next step on his path was a residency in family medicine so he could translate his book knowledge into a body knowledge. Then, the final phase of his formal education: a residency in public health leading to a masters degree.

That final phase is finished.

The road has been long and paved with gems. Here are a few that I have gleaned through my husband's journey:

** Picking a path doesn't exclude all other paths, it provides a focus.
** There is no real "end" or "goal" to the path ... the path itself is the goal; The path is life.
** Life doesn't start at some point in the future: Life is now.
** Be flexible. You may not know how you are going to get there and open doors may shut in your face, but there's always a way around or through if you don't give up, if you believe in yourself.
** You don't need to be "special" to reach your goal.
** Goals that allow you to express "you" are worthy.
** It may not be the end that is most inspiring to others, rather what you do on the path.
** There is no magic number, or date, or condition that is worth waiting for before you start (on your path, living, or just feeling good about yourself). Just start!
** Let your heart shine ... your beauty does not take away from others, real beauty does not compete with others ...


So, yes, I am proud of my husband for completing his MD MPH goals, but not because of the title ... rather because of his perseverance, his focus, his dedication, his joy along the way ...

It's not that "now" he can do things, he's been doing things all along toward his goal of helping people ... now is a continuation of yesterday and today ... a constant motion.

I've never heard of a goal that "starts tomorrow" that works ... I've only heard of goals that are in process now that work ...

Thank you, Patrick for showing me that an imperfect now is preferable to the nonexistent "perfect tomorrow"!!!!!

0 comments: