Monday, March 31, 2008

The measure of a mom ...

An inch.

that's all it took ... I gave him an inch, he took a one-foot fall into a shallow bog at the botanical gardens.

So, i ask, is the "good" mother the one who keeps her child from falling into the bog in the first place by not giving that inch ... or is it she who keeps her wits as she fishes him out, undresses him, removes her jacket, covers him up with it, and then -- after he has calmed -- sits back down to chat with her friend as her son continues to play ... ?

It's a rhetorical question, at least, I don't think it's either/or. It's just a thought. I'm actually rather proud of how calmly i approached the situation. and it did give a photographer a very cute subject (if I do say so myself).

1 comments:

Angela N. said...

IMO....either one of those is a "good" mom. Just depends on your comfort zone with giving your child that extra inch.

My guess is that he won't take that inch again--or if he does, he'll be a lot more careful doing it. There are valuable lessons to be learned in letting your child fall every now and then.

I'm glad he's OK--and it did make for a very cute picture. ;)